Pages

Friday, 11 July 2008

PZ vs The Catholic League

I've spent the better part of the last couple of days laughing my ass off over the craziness going on at Pharyngula. Apparently PZ Myers made a few comments here in support of the kid who was getting death threats by some of the more right-wing Catholics. Jerks who are making a big fuss over Webster Cook not swallowing the Eucharist and calling for him to die. Apparently, the Catholic League thinks their beliefs are more important than a kid's life. So much for "All life is sacred". Hypocrites. They're all "Christianity is love." and "Turn the other cheek." until they get offended. Then it's "Kill the little heretic."

Jokingly, PZ called for people to send him consecrated wafers so that he could have a little fun:
So, what to do. I have an idea. Can anyone out there score me some consecrated communion wafers? There's no way I can personally get them — my local churches have stakes prepared for me, I'm sure — but if any of you would be willing to do what it takes to get me some, or even one, and mail it to me, I'll show you sacrilege, gladly, and with much fanfare.
From the original news story:
Webster Cook says he smuggled a Eucharist, a small bread wafer that to Catholics symbolic of the Body of Christ after a priest blesses it, out of mass, didn’t eat it as he was supposed to do, but instead walked with it.

Catholics worldwide became furious.
Not only furious, but they started sending death threats to the kid.
Webster’s friend, who didn’t want to show his face, said he took the Eucharist, to show him what it meant to Catholics.

Webster gave the wafer back, but the Catholic League, a national watchdog organization for Catholic rights claims that is not enough.

“We don’t know 100% what Mr. Cooks motivation was,” said Susan Fani a spokesperson with the local Catholic diocese. “However, if anything were to qualify as a hate crime, to us this seems like this might be it.”

We just expect the University to take this seriously,” she added “To send a message to not just Mr. Cook but the whole community that this kind of really complete sacrilege will not be tolerated.”

Webster just wants all of this to go away. Especially now that he feels his life is in danger.
So I guess it's okay for priests to molest little kids, but it not alright for a kid to take a cracker that was given to him. So these people don't think twice to threaten a kid over a minor offense. So they hold that the host is sacred, but now they want everyone else to hold it sacred as well. But it's too bad for them because in the United States, we have the First Amendment to the Constitution.
University officials said, that as for right now, Webster Cook is not in trouble. If anyone or any group wants to file a formal complaint with the University through the student judicial system, they can.

It that happens, Webster will go through a hearing either in front of an administrative panel or a panel of his peers.
Why should this have anything to do with school activities? Church-State separation anyone?

Oh, and after he received the communion wafer he didn't swallow it and a scuffle ensued:
Cook claims he planned to consume it, but first wanted to show it to a fellow student senator he brought to Mass who was curious about the Catholic faith."When I received the Eucharist, my intention was to bring it back to my seat to show him," Cook said. "I took about three steps from the woman distributing the Eucharist and someone grabbed the inside of my elbow and blocked the path in front of me. At that point I put it in my mouth so they'd leave me alone and I went back to my seat and I removed it from my mouth."A church leader was watching, confronted Cook and tried to recover the sacred bread. Cook said she crossed the line and that's why he brought it home with him."She came up behind me, grabbed my wrist with her right hand, with her left hand grabbed my fingers and was trying to pry them open to get the Eucharist out of my hand," Cook said, adding she wouldn't immediately take her hands off him despite several requests.
Despite the headline, Cook never held the communion wafer hostage and gave it back. So what's all the fuss about? It looks like Cook is getting a real good look at the religion he is a member of. Any bets on how long he remains a member?

Instead of ignoring him like an adult, Bill Donohue started denouncing PZ hysterically and the fun began. Check out the following links, each post has massive amounts of commenting:

Now I've got Bill Donohue's Attention
Fresh Crackers
Fight Back Against Bill Donohue
KPFT Interview
Can This Possibly Get More Insane?
I Get Email - Special Cracker Edition - lots of the hate mail and death threats PZ is receiving.

I think that the Catholic League is starting to realize what pricks they were acting like when they went after Webster Cook and encouraged death threats. Now they are using PZ Myers as a scapegoat and a way of diverting attention to the threats sent to a young college kid.

Here is a little song by Bad Religion that perfectly describes the Catholic League's actions:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like play online game, I alsobuy priston tale Gold
andpriston tale Money
thepriston tale Money is very cheap
and use thepriston tale Goldcan buy many things,
I likecheap priston tale Gold, thanks, it is very good.